Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

Becoming an Incorporated Engineer allows you to use the post-nominal letters “IEng” after your name, highlighting your level of knowledge and expertise to your employers, colleagues, and customers.

Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

Incorporated Engineers consistently sustain and manage the applications of new and current technologies and may also manage engineering development, design, manufacture, construction and operation. 


Registration is open to anyone who can demonstrate competence to perform work to the necessary standards, commitment to maintain that competence, work within professional codes and participate actively within the profession. 

“The Institute were fantastic in helping me through the application process and I got great support from my sponsors and colleagues with my report and interview preparation.  In gaining my IEng I have a renewed confidence and proven to myself and peers that I am capable of this and more and it has already opened up new challenges to progress my career”. 


Wayne Potter IEng, Wastewater Network Modeller, Mott MacDonald

Who can become an IEng?

The application process for IEng registration is more straightforward for those with exemplifying academic qualifications. For IEng this is one of the following:

  • An accredited Bachelors or honors degree in engineering or technology
  • An accredited HNC or HND in engineering or technology (for programmes started before Sept 1999)
  • An HNC or HND started after Sept 1999 (but before Sept 2010 in the case of the HNC) or a Foundation Degree in engineering or technology, plus appropriate further learning to degree level
  • An NVQ4 or SVQ4 that has been approved for the purpose by a licensed engineering institution, plus appropriate further learning to degree level


How to become an IEng


Before starting your application, read the UK Spec authored by the Engineering Council that explains the competence standards required of an Incorporated Engineer.

Once you are ready to begin your application, download the IEng Application Form and the Applicant’s Short Guide and follow the process outlined in the guide. 


All candidates for registration as an Incorporated Engineer must be members of a professional body such as IWater.  As part of your application, you will be asked to produce a copy of your CPD record. 


Professional Review Fee for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) £168 


Initial Registration Fee (remitted to the Engineering Council and will cover registration until your next membership renewal date) for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) £50.40 


Annual Renewal Fees (remitted annually to the Engineering Council to maintain the Registration) for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) £38.96


International Registration

Provided they have the necessary qualifications and experience, UK IEngs can apply for International Engineering Technologist (IntET), aimed at making it easier for holders to practice their profession overseas.


The Engineering Council is responsible for maintaining the UK section of the IntPE Register, and anyone wishing to register can download an Application Form. All applicants should read the Guidance Notes before completing the application form. For guidance and advice on International Registration please email

Contact Us

For guidance and advice on Professional Registration please email and  our dedicated Professional Registration Manager will be happy to help you.